Originally from Copenhage, Denmar,, Michael Thomsen completed studies in Naturopathy and Herbal Medicine in Sydney graduating in 1986. He obtained a master’s degree in applied science (herbal medicine) at the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne.
Michael Thomsen has worked in private practice as a herbalist, and for over ten years has worked as a consultant to the herbal medicine industry both in Australia and overseas. Michael Thomsen is author of the immensely popular Phytotherapy Desk Reference now into its third edition. He has extensive industry experience as past technical manager of leading herbal medicine companies in Australia.
- Technical Director of HerbResearch International.
- International Consultant with UN International Trade Centre (ITC), development of natural products, herbs and herbal medicine products in Bangladesh.
- International lecturing on herbal medicine, manufacturing & quality control. Post-graduate courses and seminars in Australia, Malaysia, NZ and Denmark.
- Phytomedicine’s practitioner telephone and Internet support service on behalf of Australian manufacturers of herbal medicinal products.
- Research Associate and course coordinator (Herbal medicine) at the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, Swinburne University, Melbourne.
- Course developer for the Australian College of Phytotherapy: Advanced Diploma of Herbal Medicine (a post-graduate course for medical practitioners and other health professionals)
- Senior lecturer, School of Herbal Medicine, TAFE Tasmania
Topics for lecturing include:
- Herbal Biological Response Modifiers: Supporting patients undergoing conventional cancer treatments
- Psoriasis: latest medical investigations and herbal treatment options
- Herbal medicine: lessons from traditions, constructing formulations
- Herbal prescribing for health professionals
- Herbal Medicine for Pharmacists
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Vitetta L, Sali A Do herbs increase the risk of herb–drug interactions for patients with arthritis? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2005;64:1527-1528
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated. J. Alt. Compl. Med. 9(3), in press (2003).
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxizität durch Cimicifuga racemosa? Die Kausalität in einem aktuellen Verdachtsfall aus Australien ist nicht ausreichend begründet [Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated]. Z. Phytother. 24: 11-14 (2003).
- Vitetta L, Thomsen M, Sali: A Black cohosh and other herbal remedicies associated with acute hepatitis MJA 2003; 178 (8): 411-412
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A: Acute liver failure associated with the use of herbal preparations containing black cohosh MJA 2004; 180 (11): 598-600
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A Fatal fulminant hepatic failure induced by a natural therapy containing kava. Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 16;180(4):198-9
- Schmidt M, Betti G, Thomsen M: The WHO guideline on Traceability: A chance for the amelioration of quality and safety of medicinal plant raw material
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Betti G, Casabiancad H, Omidbaigie V: Ferula gumosa: phytochemical variability in iran R: Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen M, Flannery G, Vitetta L, Schmidt M Herbal preparation – ginseng and dang gui ten combination (PS10) and immune response in humans. Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen, M: In the surgery — working with a complementary therapist. J Comp Med 2(1): 2003
- Thomsen M: Andrographis paniculata. Natural Pharmacy 2003; July/Aug 10-11
- Thomsen M: St. John’s wort, Turmeric and Olive leaf extracts. Natural Pharmacy 2003; Sept/Oct 18-19
- Thomsen M: Quality Control in Herbal Products. Natural Pharmacy 2001; Oct 16-19
- Thomsen M: Botanical Brain Boosters. Natural Pharmacy 2000; June 10-11
- Thomsen M: Herbs for Infants. Natural Pharmacy 2000; May 6-9
- Thomsen M: The Herb-Nutrient Connection. Natural Pharmacy 2000; March 13-15